Saturday, August 5, 2017

My First Scammer Phone Call

Below is an accounting of a telephone conversation between me and a male caller with an Oriental Accent.  On August 04, 2017 at 8:10 PM. 

My Caller ID showed the name as Jeff Martineau with the Phone Number 480-575-6851. It ended up being someone trying to scam me.

I decided to use it as a post in my blog.

πŸ‘Ό I am the angel in green text
😈 He is the devil in red text 



The phone rang the name Jeff  Martineau with the Phone Number 480-575-6851 came up on my caller ID. I didn't recognize the name or the number, but I was expecting a call from a company needing a review of their product. So I answered it. 

πŸ‘Ό Hello?
😈 Hello ma'am I am calling about your computer. You know about software program that make viruses on your computer yes? 

πŸ‘Ό My caller ID says your name is Jeff
😈 Yes ma'am, I am not Jeff....


πŸ‘Ό So Your not Jeff?
😈 No ma'am I am calling from an Internet [I forget exactly what he said]. 

πŸ‘Ό Then why are you calling me from Jeff' phone
😈 Ma'am because we are an Ethernet ring group. We keep receiving messages from your computer. 

πŸ‘Ό Well, why doesn't my computer just send me the message's?
 πŸ˜ˆ Ma'am we have been receiving messages from your computer warning of  a virus infection.

πŸ‘Ό What company do you work for? 
😈 Window'ma'am


πŸ‘Ό Microsoft Windows? 
😈 Yes ma'am.

πŸ‘Ό I know you are trying to scam me. Remove my Telephone number from your list and never call me again. You are being reported!
 πŸ˜ˆ Click




I knew this was a scam from the get-go, that why I never gave him the chance to get everything out in his answers.

The Phone Number and Name are probably fake. I Pushed *69 after I hung up. No help there! all it said was:
"The number has not been recognized. Please try again"
◘▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬⚫▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬◘ 



Every year, thousands of people lose money to telephone scams. Scammers will say anything to cheat people out of money. Some seem very friendly. They may claim to work for a company you trust. Especially a big-name-company. In my case they pretended to be associated with Windows offering to remove a virus or malware from my computer?  Microsoft Windows, or simply Windows, ione of the top three big name operating systems for personal computers. The other two are Mac OS X and Linux.


My actions I took today: 
✔ I went to my telephone company website. I accessed my Manage your telephone account and blocked the number from being able to call me in the future.

This is part of a screenshot from the page where I manage my telephone account.  I was able to block this number using the action from any future calls.

✔ 
I have been a frequent visitor to the Federal Trade Commission's website and I receive scam alerts by email from them. Today I went there to file my first scam complaint with the FTC Complaint Assistant 

✔ I called Microsoft. It took forever but I talked to an actual human being! I filed a complaint and informed them about the scam. They told me they were sending me an email with a web address where I can Report a technical support scam . Which I did.



✔ I have already 
registered my home landline and my mobile cell numbers with the NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTER. along time ago.
So today I filed a report with the www.donotcall.gov.

 ✔ 
I decided to do this blog post with the hope that it may help someone else.

To learn more about:


  • Signs of a Scam
  • How They Hook You
  • Why They're Calling You
  • How to Handle an Unexpected Sales Call
  • What To Do About Pre-Recorded Calls

Click ➺ Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information  or Follow this link:   https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/scam-alerts?utm_source=takeaction

To 
see and read the Most Recent Scam Alerts or to get Scam Alerts By Email click: 
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/scam-alerts?utm_source=takeaction

 
I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission before doing this blog post. Here is a video on how to file a claim with the FTC 




If you think you see a scam, talk with someone. Your story could help someone avoid that scam. Then report it to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov/complaint. Your story could help the FTC stop the scammers.
Here is an FTC video on Why Report Fraud










No comments:

Post a Comment